Skip navigation

Tag Archives: Collection

I have had my vanity since I moved into my new place.

I got it way before I lost my job or figured that this would be a career choice for me.

I love this vanity!

The only problem is, I have no use for it. I bought it thinking I would wake up each morning and sit in front of it and do my makeup and hair. Like a simple and nice morning ritual.

But it never happened.

It just turned into a dump for my makeup and hair products and straightener and blow-dryer.

I actually do my morning stuff at my computer desk while doing a million other things.

So now, I have decided to sell.

It’s been banged around a bit, so I need to freshen her up, but then she’ll be better than ever!

Advertisements

Step 1: Disassemble and sandStep 1: Disassemble and sand

Taking the thing apart proved to be fine *until* I got to the extension piece that pulls out of the top of the table portion. There were two little plugs inserted into the bottom of the extension that would catch on a hidden lip which aimed at preventing the extension from being fully removed. The first plug came out easily with some pliers; the second wouldn’t come out no matter what I tried… ended up chipping the top off just to get it out and I’ll get the rest out before I paint and put the extension back in. Fortunately the plugs were essentially those wooden pegs that come with IKEA furniture… and I can get those easily.

Sanding and disassembling was a little more work than I expected. The sanding couldn’t be done entirely with the electric sander, so a lot of hand sanding went into this.¬† Also it seems I will have to do quite a lot of heavy sanding on the extension to ensure that it will slide in and out smoothly in the long run.

Step 2: Paint

Step 2: Paint

The first coat is easy enough. Nothing major to report for that part. For the accents (not pictured), I spray painted the knob that attaches to the extension and the screws which will be visible in the back of the bench with the brushed gold. I like to add those little things that no one necessarily notices but make the difference between quality and a rush job.

Step 3: Recovering the Seat

Step 4: Branding

This is something I’ve always thought about in the beginning, but never actually remembered to do in the end.

I bought some sticky foam letters from the dollar store, sprayed gold paint around them, waited 10 minutes and removed the foam letters. Voila!

Branding Stages

Now I just have to finish the extension insert and then I will take photos and post the final product!

I originally intended to keep this piece for myself, but I’ve found that as beautiful as it is, I have nowhere to put it.

Such a shame, it really would be useful if my floor plan allowed for it.

Telephone BenchI’m going to paint the wood black and the back and seat cushion will be a light gold satin (I might tuft it, not sure yet) and the pull on the table extension will be gold as well.

There isn’t much else to say about this piece. I’ve been staring at it for a few months now and it’s time to get it worked on.

And another one rolls off the production line and lands on Etsy; “Fedora” for my High Hat Collection.

Fedora

I’m zooper proud ov myzelf!

Symmography
noun
1. A fancy pants way of describing a 70s phenomenon popularly known as “string art”.
2. My latest obsession.

I was at my parents’ place the other night and I was perusing the book shelves as I always do (something about the familiarity and consistency of what I see is soothing to me) and I stopped at this book which my mother has always owned and decided to take it off the shelf and flip through it. It’s called¬†STRING ART – Symmography – Three Dimensional Creative Designs with Yarn without Knotting or Knitting. Long title, non?

String Art the Book

Anyway, as I’m perusing this book my ever-turning wheels start thinking that maybe this could be an interesting way of expressing myself. Less about money-making and more about being my creative self. I took the book, I bought some wooden frames with a thin wood veneer on top and got to work with materials I already owned: nails, gold spray paint and black yarn.

It took me a little while to think up some interesting shapes I would like to use (I went through owls and mustaches quite quickly and settled on hats… a simple shape, yet I don’t see any. Yet.), but once I settled on different hat shapes and decided to call the collection “High Hat”, I was ready to go!

Voila! My first in a series of nine, called “Top Hat”. The names will all be simple; just the type of hat the shape represents. This one is already listed in my Etsy shop.

"Top Hat"

Excited to get started on the next one; a fedora. Followed by a peaked cap, a baseball cap, a tuque, a tilley hat, a newsboy hat (a.k.a. a “gatsby”), a stetson, and a shako. I’m doing these all in black yarn on a gold background, but I’m thinking for both the tuque and the shako of doing the pompom and plume, respectively, in red.

Wish me luck…