Skip navigation

Monthly Archives: January 2013

I have had my vanity since I moved into my new place.

I got it way before I lost my job or figured that this would be a career choice for me.

I love this vanity!

The only problem is, I have no use for it. I bought it thinking I would wake up each morning and sit in front of it and do my makeup and hair. Like a simple and nice morning ritual.

But it never happened.

It just turned into a dump for my makeup and hair products and straightener and blow-dryer.

I actually do my morning stuff at my computer desk while doing a million other things.

So now, I have decided to sell.

It’s been banged around a bit, so I need to freshen her up, but then she’ll be better than ever!

Advertisements

Step 1: Disassemble and sandStep 1: Disassemble and sand

Taking the thing apart proved to be fine *until* I got to the extension piece that pulls out of the top of the table portion. There were two little plugs inserted into the bottom of the extension that would catch on a hidden lip which aimed at preventing the extension from being fully removed. The first plug came out easily with some pliers; the second wouldn’t come out no matter what I tried… ended up chipping the top off just to get it out and I’ll get the rest out before I paint and put the extension back in. Fortunately the plugs were essentially those wooden pegs that come with IKEA furniture… and I can get those easily.

Sanding and disassembling was a little more work than I expected. The sanding couldn’t be done entirely with the electric sander, so a lot of hand sanding went into this.  Also it seems I will have to do quite a lot of heavy sanding on the extension to ensure that it will slide in and out smoothly in the long run.

Step 2: Paint

Step 2: Paint

The first coat is easy enough. Nothing major to report for that part. For the accents (not pictured), I spray painted the knob that attaches to the extension and the screws which will be visible in the back of the bench with the brushed gold. I like to add those little things that no one necessarily notices but make the difference between quality and a rush job.

Step 3: Recovering the Seat

Step 4: Branding

This is something I’ve always thought about in the beginning, but never actually remembered to do in the end.

I bought some sticky foam letters from the dollar store, sprayed gold paint around them, waited 10 minutes and removed the foam letters. Voila!

Branding Stages

Now I just have to finish the extension insert and then I will take photos and post the final product!